Regulatory Science - Greenhouse Technician
Company: BASF Corporation
Posted on: November 25, 2022
The Regulatory Science Seeds and Traits Laboratory & Greenhouse
assistant will be responsible for growing & maintaining greenhouse
production/operation activities, as well as assisting in sample
processing activities. This position supports facility operations &
maintenance, GLP study specific operations & maintenance to support
the safety assessment of our genetically modified (GM) traits in
our seed products. In addition, the selected candidate should
demonstrate routine troubleshooting capabilities. Demonstrate the
ability to use relevant methodology in processing samples,
producing plant samples and generating data. Have an understanding
of instrumentation and conducting activities in compliance with
applicable methods, standard operating procedures and Good
Laboratory Practices (GLPs). He/she under supervision will
collaborate with internal and external partners to meet the agreed
expectations and to assist in identifying areas of improvement in
workflows and will experiment and implement innovative approaches
and technologies to create efficient, compliant and quality-driven
Knowledge and Experience - What specific skills, training or
experience are required to perform the job? Requirements should be
minimum needed to perform the job.
* Degree in Biology, Horticulture, Agronomy, or related Field
*Preferred Knowledge & Skills*
* Demonstrate hands-on experience and knowledge in greenhouse
operations, growing & maintaining (GM) plants, and working with
samples in a laboratory environment.
* Demonstrate creative problem-solving and critical thinking
* Capable of developing novel yet "fit for purpose" approaches or
* Proven ability to collaborate in a team while completing projects
respecting deadlines. Need to be agile and adapt project priorities
* Good organization and attention-to-details skills.
* Demonstrated proficiency with verbal, written and presentation
* Experience working in a GLP environment.
* Experience applying pesticides.
* NC Pesticide Applicator license is preferred, and/or willingness
to obtain license.
* Willingness to obtain forklift and ariel lift certification.
* Ability to be on call for weekends, weekday after-hours, and
holidays on a rotational basis.
* Ability to lift 50lb.
*Core Responsibilities* - In order of importance, list 4-8 brief
statements indicating the responsibility, what is done (Action),
how it is done (Method or Means) and the expectation (End Result).
Include percentage of time spent on each (does not have to add to
*Responsibility % of time*
* Responsible for processing plant material samples in a laboratory
environment while being able to communicate effectively with study
directors, and operations personal, etc., while following the
approved study protocol, applicable methods, standard operating
procedures (SOPs), GLP regulations, Safety, BioSafety and
Stewardship Guidelines. 75
* Responsible for the production of high quality plant material for
GLP Studies & Reference Material Productions by setting up pots,
irrigation, chemical applications, day-to-day monitoring and
cleaning the space (before and after), & providing facility
records, while following the approved study protocol, applicable
methods, standard operating procedures (SOPs), GLP regulations,
Safety, BioSafety and Stewardship Guidelines. 75
* Responsible for GH maintenance, such as waste management and
disposal, ventilation control, environmental controls and
monitoring, irrigation system management, lighting, etc. Also,
responsible within laboratories for glassware washing, preforming
weekly safety shower inspections, and general laboratory
stewardship. Responsible Individual (RI) for greenhouse &
laboratory equipment and ensure the associated equipment
maintenance is conducted and logbooks are updated in a timely
manner. Greenhouse maintenance on call for weekends, weekday
after-hours, and holidays on a rotational basis. 50
* Capable of communicating experimental results, activity status
and potential concerns in an effective and timely manner. Optimize
and troubleshoot technical issues encountered and capable to
identify process improvements and provide innovative solutions for
* Responsible for being primary author for process documents
(SOP's, etc) in areas of responsibilities. 15
Nature and Scope - Provide the job context and a better
understanding of the job's purpose and principal responsibilities
by describing the following:
Business environment (market/external conditions/challenges the job
faces on a regular basis):
* The environment the person will work within is very dynamic.
Periods of high-volume work with aggressive deadlines are
interspersed with lower-volume periods of highly-detailed,
collaborative work. The work done is in a Regulated environment
(Good Laboratory Practice), internal (product stewardship), safety
and biosafety standards and requirements. During execution of these
activities, technical problems will arise; the problems must be
addressed quickly to meet result deadlines while maintaining
Regulatory needs and expectations.
Level of Autonomy/Decision Making Responsibility:
* The person is expected to interact with members of the Protein
Team, Method Development Team, Agronomic & Phenotypic
Characterization Team and occasionally with Product Safety Managers
and other stake holders. This person would be responsible for
performing work in the laboratory and the greenhouse based on
stakeholder feedback (protocols) and under compliance standards.
The person is expected to have the experience to competently
address technical problems, communicate with peers and supervisor
with results, activity status and potential concerns in an
effective and timely manner.
Internal and external relationships (other than supervisor, what
other positions does this job interact with and why):
* The person will work internally with members of the Protein Team,
Method Development Team, Agronomic & Phenotypic Characterization
Team, Quality Assurance, Safety Managers, and the person's
supervisor to meet agreed technical expectations, solve study
problems and maintain operations. The person will also collaborate
externally with Stewardship, Safety and BioSafety to ensure
compliance to specified guidelines. In addition, maintaining good
collaborative external relationships with other functions (Trait
Research, Crop Genetics, etc.) occupying greenhouse is
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $25.00 per hour
* 8 hour shift
* Will you be able to be on call for weekends, weekday after-hours,
and holidays on a rotational basis?
* Will you be able to lift 50lb?
* Bachelor's (Preferred)
* Greenhouse: 1 year (Preferred)
* growing & maintaining greenhouse production/operation: 1 year
* Biology: 1 year (Preferred)
* Horticulture or Agronomy: 1 year (Preferred)
* working with samples in a laboratory environment: 1 year
* applying pesticides: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: BASF Corporation, Durham , Regulatory Science - Greenhouse Technician, Professions , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!