Company: RTI International
Posted on: October 13, 2019
RTI International has an opening for a senior natural resource and
environmental economist within its Center for Applied Economics and
Strategy (CAES). The center has a diverse portfolio of contract-
and grant-funded research in the areas of the environment and
natural resources, agriculture, energy efficiency, innovation, and
economic development. In this role, the successful candidate
* develop and assess various models to solve scientific,
engineering, or economic problems within the environmental sector.
Requiring demonstrated programming efficiencies working across one
or more of the following: R, python, and/or other mathematical
software packages commonly used for large-scale modelling (e.g.
* obtain, process, and analyze technical data using statistical and
modelling software to produce high quality research for government
agencies, foundations, and non-profit organizations.
* communicate insights in an understandable and useable form
leveraging customized data visualization tools.
* collaborate and consult with other research entities to implement
the best available theory and methods in assessing environmental
and economic outcomes to report cogent and actionable results to
The successful candidate will have sufficient training and
experience to identify best technical approaches in partnership
with other economists and project team leads, execute quantitative
analyses, and clearly articulate results to audiences of varying
levels of sophistication. CAES staff seek a candidate with a clear
interest in natural resource and environmental economics and a
strong technical skill set versatile to the breadth of topic areas
in which we work.
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the
following tasks with other RTI team members
* Design, execute, and communicate research on the following
o Agriculture and forestry sector modeling and policy analysis,
o Energy and environmental policies,
o Macroeconomic modeling of policies
o Land use and geospatial modeling for environmental policy
o Energy system modeling,
o Econometric modelling
o Transportation systems and vehicle technology modeling and
o Integrated water resources management or hydro-economic
o Spatial analytics using remote sensed products for economic and
o Energy and water systems modeling, including dispatch and/or
* Collaborate effectively with project team members
* Manage workflow in a timely, realistic, and cost-effective manner
to meet client expectations
* Contribute to grant, cooperative agreement, and contract
* Present research methods and findings via technical reports,
journal articles, and presentations
Qualified applicants should have the following:
* Ph.D. degree in a relevant field with relevant work experience or
a Master s degree and five years of relevant work experience.
* Demonstrated experience in partial equilibrium modeling,
computable general equilibrium and/or other relevant optimization
* Demonstrated programming, data management, and analysis skills,
including experience with GAMS, python, R, Stata, or related
* Demonstrated experience in conducting economic analysis of
* If selected to interview for the position, writing samples will
be required, preferably with a focus related to one of the topic
* Demonstrated experience with programing in GAMS
* Demonstrated experience with geospatial analysis.
* Experience working on environmental, natural resource, or
agricultural economics topics in the developing world.
* Interests in applied economic model development, technological
change, energy and environmental policy.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or
any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is
Keywords: RTI International, Durham , Senior Economist, Other , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!