Senior Contract Negotiator
Company: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina
Posted on: August 16, 2019
Prepare, analyze and negotiate vendor contracts, and follow through
to execution and retention, with a focus on nonstandard, complex
agreements. Assist Business and Technical Owners from all
functional areas in the selection of vendors and documentation of
vendor obligations consistent with requirements. Work within the
framework of purchasing, contracting and legal strategies, law,
administrative regulations and company policies and procedures.
Guide and assist internal customers through the entire decision
making process and contracting experience. Maintains a thorough
knowledge of all aspects of contract(s), modifies and negotiates
amendments and educates all parties on contract terms and
* Accept assignments for Contract Requests from Business Owners and
evaluate to determine applicable contractual requirements.
* Prepare, draft and negotiate complex and/or technical contracts,
agreements and/or amendments, including those that require
specialized subject matter expertise, nonstandard risk mitigation
solutions, and coordination of multiple arrangements. Design,
develop, and draft unique agreement structures and lead meetings to
* Take lead role for contracting process, including negotiation,
close-out actions, disputes and issue resolution. Ensure commercial
optimization of contracts through appropriate mechanisms.
* Serve as a subject matter expert contact to other business areas,
including regular interaction at a senior leadership level, to
provide resources, direction and expertise related to contractual
matters and contract interpretation in a consistent, precise, and
* Identify business risks and develop strategies for avoidance and
mitigation. Identify and coordinate the identification and
resolution of commercial risks and legal issues related to
* Analyze business issues, reviews options, and provide creative
and innovative solutions to address business owner needs and
concerns while protecting the company's interests and mitigating
risk. Assist Business Owners in understanding and executing company
policies and understanding commercial risks.
* Develop, from time to time, new contract template forms to meet
changing business needs and address new technology related concerns
to mitigate legal and financial risks.
* Assist in the development of new procedures, training and
education, initiatives, specifications and recommendations for
contracts and/or process changes, as appropriate.
* Track and report on contract status.
* Lead and mentor less experienced contracting professionals,
including provision of subject matter expertise on complex
* Bachelor s degree and 10+ years vendor contract negotiation
* With no degree, 15+ years of experience as stated above.
* Must have direct experience and expertise with complex vendor
(especially technology) contracts.
* Project management background is a plus.
* Experience in highly regulated industries
* Familiarity with intellectual property concepts
* Familiarity with information technology licensing agreements
* Leadership, coaching and mentoring skills needed.
* Excellent negotiation, influencing, and consultative skills.
* Ability to be collaborative, resourceful and proactive in the
research and development of creative solutions to manage or
* Commitment to excellent customer service
* Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, including the
ability to interpret and present quantitative data
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Ability to work in teams and independently
* Strong organizational skills with proven ability to manage own
work and coordinate others work in a timely manner
* Excellent PC Skills MS Word, MS Outlook and Contract Management
* Relevant contracting or purchasing certifications preferred.
* Law degree or paralegal certification preferred,.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina does not discriminate
on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or
disability in its health programs and activities.
Keywords: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, Durham , Senior Contract Negotiator, Other , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!