Chemistry Development Scientist
Company: fluxtek Solutions
Posted on: May 24, 2023
BD Technologies and Innovation, located in Research Triangle Park NC, seeks a research associate to work as a member of an R&D team that is involved in identifying, developing, and testing new technologies for a range of medical devices, including surgical and drug-device combination devices. Specifically, the team is focused on the chemical and materials aspects of these devices. Under the supervision of a senior scientist, the candidate will design and execute studies aimed at assessing the viability of technologies. They will also help develop processes, including mixing and coating methods, stability testing, elution testing, and other means of evaluating these technologies.
The successful candidate must have experience with basic lab techniques and analytical instrumentation, and also be capable of learning/establishing new experimental tools. Experience with translating technologies/processes from concept to pilot scale is highly desired. Additional experience with test method development using medical prototypes, working knowledge of polymeric materials, formulation development, coating methods, reagent drying processes, and drug or material stability testing are also valuable assets.
The candidate should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to identify and resolve experimental challenges proactively, and a strong desire to gain experience in the process of developing medical technologies. The candidate should be able to plan and conduct scientific experiments and should be able to effectively analyze, interpret, and present experimental results while collaborating with team members from a variety of backgrounds. The candidate should also be able to adapt to changing requirements that may arise in a dynamic work environment and will be expected to contribute intellectually in areas not directly related to his or her field.
* Senior level (PhD or equivalent), general area of chemistry, materials, polymers, etc.
* Hands-on laboratory experience working with various chemicals/materials. Experience in common chemistry lab procedures and tools.
* Understanding of a range of instrumentation and analytical characterization tools (e.g. familiarity with spectroscopic methods such as fluorescence, UV, IR; and/or separation and characterization tools such as HPLC/UPLC are a plus).
* Good written and verbal technical communication skills
* Ability to design, execute, and appropriately document experiments.
* Ability to effectively Interpret and present scientific data.
* Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team.
* Experience working with polymeric materials and/or dry powder systems.
* Experience assembling OEM components and device prototypes to configure a desired test method.
* Hands-on experience in the development and characterization of drug formulations for therapeutics, such as those involving microparticles, nanoparticles or hydrogels.
* Experience in dry-down processes (e.g. lyophilization/vacuum drying, spray drying).
* Past experience or willingness to work occasionally with biological specimens (e.g. tissues) for lab-scale testing
* A B.S. or M.S. in Chemistry, Pharmaceutics/Pharma sciences, Chemical Engineering, biomedical engineering, or a related scientific discipline is required.
* Prior work experience (e.g. 1-3 years desirable) in a medical device, diagnostics, or pharmaceutical R&D organization is a plus
Job Type: Contract
* Day shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
* Durham, NC: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
* Laboratory experience: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
*Speak with the employer*
Keywords: fluxtek Solutions, Durham , Chemistry Development Scientist, Other , Durham, North Carolina
here to apply!