Registered Nurse (RN) - Med/Surg - Inpatient Dialysis
Company: Duke Health
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the
best in the United States and is known around the world for its
outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University
Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient beds and offers comprehensive
diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional
emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 65
operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; a separate hospital
outpatient surgical department with nine operating rooms and an
extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. -For
2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke University
Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer, cardiology &
heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose & throat,
gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology &
neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung
surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first
in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area. -In
addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive,
geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that
include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty
clinics and outpatient surgery centers. - -Duke University Hospital
- Inpatient DialysisNew Grad or Experienced Registered NurseAll
ShiftsLocated in Duke North, 7th Floor, Durham, North Carolina
-Duke University Health System seeks to hire a Registered Nurse who
will embrace our mission of -Advancing Health Together.The
-Inpatient Dialysis Unit -contain a total of -12 -inpatient beds.
Our team of nursing staff provide exceptional care to patients that
require Hemodialysis, Peritoneal Dialysis or Continuous Renal
Replacement Therapy throughout the entire Duke University Hospital.
-This position is eligible for a $15K sign-on bonus for qualified
nurses! Reach out to learn more! - -Department Highlights:
- Fantastic multiple learning opportunities and growth within the
unit. -This unit is set apart from other inpatient dialysis units
because we have much more acute patient population.
- Affords the clinical experience to attain strong critical
thinking skills, strong time management skills and robust care
- We are a diverse, highly functioning team that collaborates
with all members of the healthcare team to provide exceptional and
compassionate patient care. We put the patient at the center of
everything we do.
- Join our team and work closely with nursing leadership and
physicians, including a safety huddle each morning where nursing
staff and nursing leadership identify any safety issues over the
previous 24-hour period.
- It's challenging, fun and keeps your day fresh. -Work
Schedule:We offer -flexible -scheduling -with various shifts.You
will work Full Time 3, 12 hour shifts, 36 hours total or PRN 2, 12
hour shifts per week, 24 hours total. -Our shifts include:
7a-7:30p; 9a-9:30p; 10a-10:30p; 7p-7:30aWe are also offering one
8-hour shift from 3p-11p, 5 days a week. - -PRN: 2, 12 hour shifts
per week. Must have Dialysis experince. - -What you will do:As a
-Clinical Nurse -in Duke University Health System, you will plan
and provide professional nursing care for patients in accordance
with the medical and nursing plans of care and established policies
and procedures. Provide nursing services to patients and families
in accordance with the scope of the RN as defined by the North
Carolina Board of Nursing.
- Plan, provide and document professional nursing care, utilizing
the nursing process, in accordance with physician orders and
established policies and procedures under the supervision of the
team leader or charge nurse.
- Delegate tasks and supervise the activities of other licensed
and unlicensed care providers.
- Assist other healthcare personnel in the delivery of patient
- Participate in maintaining the environment of care including
equipment and material resources. Prioritize work organization and
identify resources available to assist in completing components of
care in a timely manner.
- Participate in own professional development by maintaining
required competencies, identifying learning needs and seeking
appropriate assistance or educational offerings.
- Support the development of other staff and formal
- Participate in the identification of clinical or operational
performance improvement opportunities and assist in performance
improvement activities. -What you can expect:
- You will learn the skillset of dialysis, but also responsible
for the nursing care of patients during their treatments. We have
patients on insulin drips, cardiac drips, patients with
tracheostomies, chest tubes, etc. that you will be responsible for
maintaining during the patient's dialysis treatment.
- You will provide -Hemodialysis, -Peritoneal Dialysis, -and
-Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy -for patients throughout the
hospital becoming competent in all modalities
- A typical day in our dialysis unit is a 12-hour shift where you
will treat patients on the unit or at the bedside
- If you treat patients at bedside you will be 1:1, but will be
responsible for going to the patient to complete HD and hooking up
our unique water system. Generally, two bedside treatments can be
completed in one shift.
- If you are assigned to treat patients on the unit, you will
have 2 patients per 1 nurse. There are usually 2 - 3 dialysis
shifts per day, so you would be treating a total of 4 - 6 patients
on a normal day.
- Multitask in myriad ways - document assessments, plan of care,
interventions, evaluation and re-evaluation of patient status,
access nursing needs of acute and chronically ill patients,
independently seek out resources and work collaboratively.
- Educate patients and families in accordance with the nursing
plan of care.
- Relationship management with patients, families, visitors,
healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership and others.
-Hone your nursing skills and learn:
- Insulin drips, Chest tube insertion.
- Perfect your hands-on nursing skills with an acute population
- Greater bedside nursing.
- Opportunity to use transferable skills to gain new
- If this is your calling to be a nurse and educator, then you
will love your work as a Dialysis nurse.
- The investment comes in seeing the transformation of your
patients from feeling sick and afraid, to strong and
- You apply your "core" nursing skills to assess, diagnose and
implement complete care plans as you look at the whole
- There's a lot to track and manage and the joy comes in
witnessing how your care impacts patients' lives. -What we will
- Paid Training
- New Graduate Nurses: 8 weeks of paid orientation, weekly and
bi-weekly meetings with preceptor and leader, and monthly nurse
residency classes and the completion of a unit-focused
- Opportunities for a Lifetime. Duke University Health System is
committed to providing robust learning and development from the
Office of Continuing Education.
- Clinical Ladder Advancement
- Tuition Assistance and Nurse Loan Forgiveness
- Relocation Grant and Sign On Bonus
- Nursing Specialty Certification Bonus: CNN Certification
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Performance Increases
- Comprehensive Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Employee
Pension plan and much more. - - -What you will need:
- Graduation from an accredited Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (or
higher) OR Associate's Degree in Nursing OR Nursing Diploma
program. -***All registered nurses without a Bachelor's degree in
Nursing (or higher) will be required to enroll in an appropriate
BSN program within two years of their start date and to complete
the program within five years of their start date. We do offer
Tuition Assistance. -Licensure and Certification Required:
- Current registration with North Carolina State Board of Nursing
as a registered professional nurse OR current compact RN licensure
to practice in the state of North Carolina required.
- BLS Certification
-To quickly apply please email your CV / resume to
-Avery.Gardner@Duke.Edu! -Duke University is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. committed to providing
employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age,
color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity,
genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, or veteran status.Duke aspires to create a community
built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our
collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an
exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives,
backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange,
it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and
welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected,
and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a
responsibility to uphold these values.Essential Physical Job
FunctionsCertain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health
System may include essential job functions that require specific
physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and
provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be
provided by each hiring department. -
Keywords: Duke Health, Durham , Registered Nurse (RN) - Med/Surg - Inpatient Dialysis, Other , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!