Posted on: June 12, 2021
Requisition Number: 44744
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials
science, with a 166-year track record of life-changing inventions.
Corning applies its unparalleled expertise in glass science,
ceramics science, and optical physics, along with its deep
manufacturing and engineering capabilities, to develop
category-defining products that transform industries and enhance
people's lives. Corning Valor Glass is an example of a
life-changing innovation purpose-built to store and protect
injectable medicines. Corning is also a global leader in
pharmaceutical tubing, manufacturing a variety of clear and amber
glass tubing that is converted by our customers into vials,
cartridges, ampules and syringes.
Scope of Position:
- Performs a variety of duties in the electronic, mechanical,
electromechanical, or optical areas.
- Provides controls design input for new equipment.
- Provides the first level of troubleshooting when issues from
the floor are elevated to the controls engineering department.
- Involved in controls wiring for existing and new
- Constructs, troubleshoots, adjusts, tests, and maintains
equipment, components, devices, or systems.
- Works from schematics, engineering drawings, and written or
- Operates related equipment; conducts tests and reports data in
- Prepares reports and recommends solutions to technical problems
- Works with maintenance technicians to repair equipment.
Provides guidance and training to maintenance technical
- Works with plant maintenance personnel to standardize on
equipment and components.
- Performs process improvements to the company's safety systems
that conforms to the required legal and standard requirements.
- Making sure all plant requirements for controls, safety, and
quality are met for system upgrades.
- Follow plant's change control process for equipment
- Works on assignments that are complex in nature where
considerable judgment and initiative are required in resolving
problems and making recommendations.
- Provides off hours On-Call support as part of the On-Call
rotation in the controls engineering group.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Supervise vendors for controls work on existing equipment
- Prepare user requirement specifications for controls work
performed by outside resources
- Lead projects for control's upgrades on existing equipment
- Prepare reports, maintain records, and requisition supplies and
- Troubleshoot problems by gathering machine information and
- Perform upgrades of current equipment
- Wire electrical panels from electrical schematics
- Prepare electrical drawings for improvements
- Perform installation and troubleshooting of motor control
centers and motors
- Contributes to maintenance standards and procedures
- Support maintenance department in troubleshooting of production
- Perform installation and troubleshooting of new equipment
- Up to 50% first 3 months, negligible long term
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Exempt / non-exempt position working approximately 40 hours per
week, Monday to Friday, with flexibility to support project
assignments and off shifts.
- Associates Degree in Technical Field (Electrical, Electronics,
Mechatronics), equivalent military training, or 10 years of
applicable experience in the Electrical Automation Field
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- 3+ years in controls/automation technician role
- 3+ years with PLC/HMI programming and troubleshooting
- Solid knowledge of electrical practices and theory
Skills / Experience:
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of NFPA Arc-Flash safety regulations
- Experience with troubleshooting of robot systems
- Experience working with 480VAC and below
- Ability to read and decipher electrical schematics and make
modifications if necessary
- Ability to read and troubleshoot Ladder Logic used in PLCs,
preferably Allen Bradley
- Experience with industrial control development and
- Knowledge of electrical systems and infrastructure
- Experience with calibration of instrumentation
- Excellent problem-solving skills. (root cause analysis)
- Good teamwork skills including knowledge transfer and
- Strong ability to create and maintain cooperative working
relationships with employees, supervisors, suppliers, vendors and
- Strong ability in applying discretion, judgement, and
initiative within established guidelines, rules and procedures
- Experience with integrated motion in manufacturing equipment
(VFDs, Servo Motors, Stepper Motors)
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender,
age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity
or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided
reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or
interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to
receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact
us to request accommodation.
Nearest Major Market: Durham
Nearest Secondary Market: Raleigh
Keywords: Corning, Durham , Controls Technician, Other , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!