Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the
best in the United States and is known around the world for its
outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University
Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic
and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma
center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an
endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine
operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional
radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital
admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in
fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in
North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for
seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery,
nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology,
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive,
geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that
include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty
clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognizedeach year
as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of
Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for
being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
Location:Duke University Hospital - 9200 Inpatient Unit (Adult
Blood & Marrow Transplant)
To provide direct patient care in both the inpatient and
outpatient settings in collaboration with the BMT attending
physician and nursing staffs. To assure, continuity of patient
care. The age-specific scope of practice is between 18 yrs. through
- utilize assessment, diagnostic and clinical skills and
knowledge in order to provide clinical care to patients during the
pre, current and post transplant periods
- perform necessary diagnostic and therapeutic procedures(within
the scope of practice of the supervising physician). These may
include, but are not limited to the following:
bone marrow biopsy/aspirate
bone marrow harvest
lumbar puncture diagnostic and therapeutic with intrathecal
Hickman catheter removal
- conduct physical exams, obtain patient histories, monitor
- order appropriate medications, laboratory studies and
- Prescriptive practice with the exception of chemotherapy and
IMID therapy: per Duke policy
- document the patient's course of treatment at the direction of
the supervising physician:
History and Physical
Problem List and Plan of Care
Daily Progress Note
- accept scheduled and unscheduled inpatients
- facilitate daily rounds in both the inpatient and outpatient
- collaborate with other program and non-program services,
physicians and nursing staffs in order to provide a longitudinal
continuity of care between the inpatient and outpatient setting,
and through follow-up
- participate in meeting the educational requirements of
students, medical residents, fellows and other members of the
health care team
- collaborate with members of the health care team in helping to
assure compliance with research related protocols
- collaborate with the nurse manager in the identification of
problems and their resolution in order to assure the providing of
safe, but cost effective patient care
- actively participate in program related committees and/or
- provide a summary report on the status of inpatients to the BMT
attending and medical resident on call prior to leaving each
- assure proper charges have been posted and appropriate
- attend program required meetings
- The Medical Director of the Adult Bone Transplant Program will
serve as the primary supervising physician for the physician
extender staff. Evaluation of clinical and prescriptive practices
will occur monthly or upon the conclusion of each clinical
rotation. The PPS evaluation will occur on a yearly basis with the
development of goals and objectives performed six months
- The physician extender staff will not provide on-call services.
Inpatient emergency support will be provided by the
Hematology/Oncology Fellow, BMT Fellow and BMT Attending Physician.
Emergency support in the outpatient clinic is provided by the BMT
Attending Physician(s) and Durham County Emergency Services.
- The physician extenders will collaborate with the nurse manager
of both the inpatient and outpatient facilities in order to
optimize care and utilization of resources
Work requires completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner
program, with a Master's degree in Nursing.
No experience required. 3 years of RN experience strongly
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North
Carolina. BLS required. National certification as a NP required
prior to or within 6 months of employment.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an
individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression,
gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration,
innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success
depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best
when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and
experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential
that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the
contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices
are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to
uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke
University and Duke University Health System may include
essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental
abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for
reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring
Nearest Major Market: Durham
Nearest Secondary Market: Raleigh