ASSOCIATE UNIVERSITY COUNSEL - RESEARCH
Company: Inside Higher Ed
Posted on: April 10, 2021
Occupational SummaryThis position is designed to furnish a high
level of professional legal service to Duke University. The
Associate Counsel will provide support to the Duke research
community. Specific units to be served will include: Office of
Research & Innovation, Duke Office of Scientific Integrity, Office
of Research Cost Compliance, Office of Research Administration,
Office of Corporate Research Collaborations, School of Medicine,
Duke University Health System, Office of Audit, Risk and
Compliance, Duke's Institutional Review Boards, Office of Research
Support, Provost's Office, Office of Sponsored Programs, Office of
Export Controls, and Duke's Animal Care and Use program. This
position will report to the Vice President & General Counsel.
- Conduct research of state and federal legislation and
administrative and court decisions; investigate legal problems and
make recommendations on matters as assigned.
- Receive and review inquiries from administrators including
matters related to Uniform Guidance, undue foreign influence,
sponsored programs, human and animal research, research agreements,
research misconduct, authorship disputes, clinical trials, effort
reporting, faculty start-ups, conflict of interest, data licensing,
FDA and good manufacturing practices.
- Assist in drafting contracts, agreements and other legal
documents, and policies for compliance with state and federal law
as well as university policies and regulations.
- Confer with University and Health System employees on matters
involving legal interpretation and decisions related to activities,
policy questions and operating problems; engage in training
- Communicate with counsel retained by the University Counsel to
represent Duke University and Duke University Health System.
- Serve as Counsel to committees as the designee of University
- Provide guidance and assistance to other University Counsel as
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described
herein.The above statements describe the general nature and level
of work being performed by individuals assigned to this
classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of
all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so
classified. Required Qualifications:EducationJD or LLB degree.
Licensed to practice law in the State of North Carolina or become
licensed within 12 months of employment. Experience
- Minimum of 7 years' continuous practice experience as an
attorney in the areas of practice.
- Demonstrated experience and competence in the areas of
- Ability to work effectively in a high-volume environment.
- Personable and collaborative, with significant personal skills
necessary to work in a complex decentralized environment.
- Excellent communication skills and calm demeanor when
- Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an
individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression,
gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires
to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,
creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the
robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich
diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences
flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all
members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the
contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices
are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to
uphold these values. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs
at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include
essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental
abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for
reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring
Keywords: Inside Higher Ed, Durham , ASSOCIATE UNIVERSITY COUNSEL - RESEARCH, Other , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!