Principal Platform Architect- AWS (Durham) EBSCO Information
Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution
comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all
combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the
information needs and maximize the research experience of our
end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than
3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our
cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch
workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in
Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest,
privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is
a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to
grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you
to explore our unique opportunities.
We are looking for a seasoned technologist in our Platform
Architecture Practice for Cloud Enablement. As a member of the
Cloud Business Office, you will help drive our strategy on a
variety of topics related to AWS public cloud adoption and
operational success. This includes infrastructure management,
implicit and frictionless governance capabilities, platform
services, and technology selection within AWS and related partners.
Platform Architects serve as an architectural coach across multiple
teams to ensure teams succeed in leveraging the underlying platform
Platform Architects are Lean-Agile leaders who work across the
organization, partnering with development teams, enterprise and
system architects, product management, and leadership to help drive
architectural alignment in support of EBSCO’s cloud-first mission.
They are focused on both near-term support on tactical challenges,
and evaluations in support of building architectural runway for the
· Evaluate technology choices supported by proof-of-concept
exercises to make impactful decisions about systems and security —
their edge cases, failure modes, and lifecycles.
· Partner with engineering teams, product managers and the
community of architects to identify patterns and platform enablers
across the organization.
· Develop reference architectures for EBSCO’s cloud platforms
that meet the needs of our business initiatives and help
inform/influence the platform evolution roadmaps.
· Drive alignment on the organization’s long-range plans and
support the migration between reference architectures.
· Engage with the internal development community to guide,
inform and influence the architectural alignment of our cloud
· Effectively communicate our infrastructure strategy, benefits
of technology and platform capabilities to business partners,
stakeholders and senior management.
· Participate in and contribute to architecture design reviews
· Promote a culture of feedback loops, trust and partnership
with our internal community.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Information Systems, Computer
Science, or related field of study.
· 8+ years of software engineering experience in production
environments, with distributed applications.
· 4+ years of experience architecting/developing/maintaining
cloud solutions in virtualized environments.
· Advanced knowledge of the AWS services, with 3+ years’
experience architecting/operating solutions built on AWS.
· Deep understanding of cloud native design, and containerized
technologies; AWS certifications a plus.
· Strong hands-on experience with Terraform/ CloudFormation to
· Can write high-quality code in a programming language (e.g.
Java, Python, Ruby, Scala, Go) that addresses real-world
· Industry expert in at least one particular domain, vertical or
platform: DevOps, Infrastructure, Security, Networking, Serverless
· A sense of urgency, and a strong bias for action.
· Strong communication skills and a natural inclination to
· Knowledge of one or more project management technologies
(Rally, Jira, etc.).
· Experience leading strong personalities by influence.
· Experience with web-based tools for collaboration and
· Exhibits sound judgement and is able to make wise decisions
despite ambiguity, identifies root causes and gets beyond treating
Important things that you will bring to our culture, but things
that we can’t teach
Drive - Positive Attitude - Good Judgement - Open Communication
– Collaboration – A Desire to Make an Impact - Eager to Understand
– Accountability – Decisiveness – You’re a Team Player
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and
complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair
employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not
tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other
covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy),
age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed,
sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis
of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment,
including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion,
discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA),
as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or
Nearest Major Market: Durham
Nearest Secondary Market: Raleigh
Job Segment: Architecture, Engineer, Information Systems, Cloud,
Product Manager, Engineering, Technology, Operations