Senior Manager, Manufacturing Science and Technology
Company: AveXis Inc.
Posted on: February 14, 2019
OverviewReady to join a team committed to moving gene therapies into the clinical and commercial settings for patients and families devastated by rare neurological genetic diseases? AveXis is advancing cutting-edge science to treat rare and life-threatening genetic diseases starting with our clinical-stage, proprietary gene therapy candidate, AVXS-101 (ZOLGENSMA--). We are in the midst of an incredible journey and are looking for passionate individuals to join us on this important mission.AveXis, Inc., a Novartis Company , is a clinical-stage gene therapy company, dedicated to developing and commercializing novel treatments for patients suffering from rare and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Our initial product candidate, AVXS-101, is our proprietary gene therapy product candidate currently in development for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy, or SMA, Type 1, the leading genetic cause of infant mortality, and for the treatment of SMA Type 2. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, or FDA, has granted AVXS-101 Orphan Drug Designation for the treatment of all types of SMA and Breakthrough Therapy Designation, as well as Fast Track Designation for the treatment of SMA Type 1. In addition to developing AVXS-101 to treat SMA Type 1 and Type 2, we also plan to develop other novel treatments for rare neurological diseases, including Rett syndrome (RTT) and a genetic form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) caused by mutations in the superoxide dismutase 1 (SOD1) gene.The Senior Manager is responsible for defining the technology transfer strategy for the processes used to manufacture AveXis gene therapy products at the RTP, NC site and contract manufacturing sites. Working with Quality, Engineering and Manufacturing, this individual will develop program level procedures for process tech transfer of Avexis products globally. This will include leading the development of tech transfer plans, protocols and reports for commercial and clinical products at the RTP site and contract manufacturers. In addition, this individual will be the technical lead for process tech transfers to the RTP site and contract manufacturing sites.Responsibilities
- Development of site and/or global procedures to govern process tech transfers of gene therapy products.
- Serving as a scientific and technical lead for tech transfer related issues and investigations at the site of manufacture.
- Partnering with Quality, Engineering and Manufacturing to ensure robust process tech transfer plans, protocols and reports.
- Mentor and train other team members.
- Provide technical leadership as required during start-up efforts of new processes within manufacturing.
- Assisting in documenting changes/updates to manufacturing processes and working with manufacturing, engineering and Quality to implement those changes.
- Provide technical leadership for the transfer of new products and processes to ensure smooth transition from process development into GMP manufacturing.
- Identify opportunities to implement operational excellence and continuous improvement.
- Build strong relationships with Quality to ensure a compliant manufacturing environment.
- Provide process expertise during health authority inspections of AveXis products at the RTP, NC site.
- Provide technical process expertise to external manufacturers.
- Assist the external manufacturing team to resolve any issues related to production issues at 3 rd party manufacturers.
- Completion of requisite training, as well as applicable policies and procedures, related to the job function is an expectation to support ongoing manufacturing support. Qualifications
- MS. degree in biochemistry, chemical engineering, bioengineering, or related scientific field and at least 10 years of experience in support of biopharmaceutical manufacturing or
- B.S. degree in biochemistry, chemical engineering, bioengineering, or related scientific field and at least 12 years of experience in support of biopharmaceutical manufacturing
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in senior technical roles within a biopharmaceutical based GMP manufacturing operations including direct experience in cell culture, recovery, purification, and/or aseptic fill/finish.
- Familiar with global regulations on cGMP manufacturing of drug substance, drug products devices, validation/qualification requirements.
- Strong technical writing ability.
- Proven ability to effectively lead and participate on teams.The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. AveXis is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Keywords: AveXis Inc., Durham , Senior Manager, Manufacturing Science and Technology, IT / Software / Systems , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!