Company: Duke Nursing
Posted on: November 11, 2019
Duke Nursing Highlights: --
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet--
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year
as North Carolina---s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of
Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for
being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance! --JOB SUMMARYA registered nurse with
demonstrated skill and knowledge about the complex technical
treatment requirements for care of the oncology patient on clinical
trials, who: assists with the effective and efficient clinical
operations provided in Duke affiliated medical oncology programs,
establishing and evaluating systems to improve patient care.--
--This is achieved through assistance with:
- provision of direct patient care,
- development of care delivery systems and programs to ensure the
provision of a DUHS standard of quality care at affiliated
- coordination of clinical and research services at affiliated
- effectively building relationships, facilitation and
collaboration with all parties involved in with the Duke-affiliated
radiation and medical oncology programs,
- Collaboration with DCN administrative, medical, and clinical
nursing leadership.--The nurse interacts with nursing leadership
and nursing staff in affiliated hospitals in support of
Duke-affiliated cancer programs and represents the interests of the
Duke Cancer Network on committees, teams and other public forums.--
Functions within the policies and procedures of the Duke University
Health System and local affiliated oncology programs.--JOB
DUTIESThe following description of job responsibilities and
standards reflects the major duties of the job but does not
describe minor duties or other responsibilities that are assigned
from time to time.--A.-- Research Program Support
- In coordination with existing infrastructure, assists in the
oversight, implementation and ongoing support of oncology research
programs at affiliated sites.
- Coordinates and participates in clinical research studies to
ensure patient treatment is provided and data is collected in
adherence to study protocol.
- Coordinate with DCN research staff and Duke University staff to
identify relevant clinical trials.
- Assist with policy development relative to clinical research
conduct. Coordinate the recruitment, enrollment, and management of
critical study documentation and data collection.-- This includes
completing case report forms.
- Investigate possible new trials appropriate for clinical and
affiliate sites and patient population.
- Assist in maintaining database on screening, accrual, and
reason for non-accrual.
- Actively participates in research audits at clinical and
affiliate sites as needed.--
- Clinical Practice and Clinical Programs Support
- Provides direct patient care, including consenting research
subjects for protocol, under the supervision of a physician as
- Maintains knowledge regarding research practice, chemotherapy
administration and the care of oncology patients.
- Maintains knowledge of-- oncology nursing clinical practice
standards, nursing practice standards, JCAHO related safety
requirements and related standard such as NIOSH or radiation safety
related issues, OHRP requirements and human protection
standards--C.-- Staff Oversight and Education Support
- Participates as appropriate in the orientation and ongoing
competency validation --and research competency of staff hired in
the affiliated sites
- Provides access to developmental/educational/training
opportunities to clinical staff including mentoring clinic
personnel through skills and competencies assessment and
- Facilitates nursing staff educational needs as identified by
- Communicates employee management issues identified at clinical
- BSN degree required. Post graduate education of benefit.
- Three years of nursing experience required and (2) years of
experience in oncology and research settings preferred.
- Certification to practice as a Registered Nurse in North
Carolina preferred. If not licensed, must be eligible for
licensure/certification. BLS required.
- Ability to travel to affiliated sites (mainly within 3 hour
drive, some regional travel may be required)--KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
- Demonstrate ability to read, ascertain, and disseminate
relevant information from clinical protocol document--
- Knowledge of and appropriate application of the nursing
process, professional theory, practice and procedures
- Able to independently seek out resources and work
collaboratively-- and maintain effective working relationships
- Able to use computer and learn new software programs
- Able to remain focused and organized
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in
administering chemotherapy-- and care of radiation oncology
patients --PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Exposure to hazardous waste and infectious materials
- Physical abilities to complete job duties under prescribed
environmental and working conditions
- Ability to drive a vehicle and fly in small planes-- Duke is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to
providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's
age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity,
genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, or veteran status. -- Duke aspires to create a
community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and
belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of
ideas---an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our
perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve
this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community
feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals
are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our
community have a responsibility to uphold these values. --
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University
and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob
functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities.
Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable
accommodation will be provided by each hiring department. --
Keywords: Duke Nursing, Durham , NURSE CLINICIAN, Healthcare , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!