Health Systems Strengthening Specialist
Company: RTI International
Posted on: June 14, 2019
RTI is currently accepting applications for the position of Health
Systems Specialist (HSS) (RTI Internal Title: Research Health
Policy Analyst 1) to support our work in the Global Health Division
(GHD), one of three technical divisions in RTI s International
Development Group (IDG). The HSS Specialist will be member of GHD s
Health System Program Area and provide comprehensive technical
support and assistance in health systems strengthening to the
current GHD project portfolio as well as anticipated business
The HSS Specialist will support program development and provide
technical assistance to strengthen health systems to assure
equitable, high quality, and sustainable health services. The ideal
candidate will understand global best practices as well as
programmatic experience contexts. This position will report to the
Health Systems Strengthening Portfolio Director, GHD.
The HSS Specialist will work as a member of GHD, and with
individuals and groups outside of the division as appropriate, to
further the GHD s goals. The position holder will provide a
combination of programmatic support to GHD by working on business
development and project systems, supporting proposal efforts,
coordinating staff meetings and events, supporting outreach efforts
to partners and external audiences and meeting other program needs
as they arise. Current project portfolio includes activities in
Africa and Asia; in communicable as well as non-communicable
This is a mid-level position in a dynamic team, with great
potential for professional growth and exposure in the global health
field. The position will be based at RTI s headquarters in Research
Triangle Park, N.C., or in Washington, DC.
* Provide comprehensive technical support and assistance in health
finance and economics to GHD projects. Areas of support could
include universal health care; governance, management and
leadership; and strategic planning and budgeting; the financial
aspects of integrating services; resource mobilization;
performance-based financing; costing, cost-effectiveness; research
and studies; and review and contribute to the development of annual
project work plans and project reports.
* Collaborate closely with headquarter and field operational and
technical staff, including project directors, technical advisors,
project coordinators and financial analysts, providing technical,
operational and administrative support to GHD projects.
* Identify opportunities to identify and apply health systems best
practices, and lessons learned across GHD and IDG programs and
projects. Participate in the design and development of new tools
and approaches, as needed.
* Collaborate with GHD program staff to analyze opportunities for
program expansion in health systems generally, and contribute to
business development strategies and initiatives, including
anticipating and planning for new business opportunities,
developing technical and cost approaches; identifying and securing
potential partners; analyzing competition; meeting with clients in
the capture stage; and recruiting consultants and staff.
Participate in the development and writing of proposals.
* Actively contribute to further RTI s scientific stature by
presenting / publishing project findings at conferences, technical
working group meetings, social media and peer-reviewed
* Collaborate with strategic partners across IDG, RTI and
externally on joint health finance, economics and health systems
strengthening activities, including technical presentations,
identifying expertise for GHD projects and proposals, etc.
* Provide networking support to identify and help recruit top notch
professionals and consultants in health finance and economics to
staff GHD global, regional and country projects and to respond to
* Interact and network with donors, potential partners, and working
groups to keep up on the latest developments in health systems
* Master s degree in Public Health, International Public Policy,
Health Economics or related field;
* Candidates must have at least 4 years of progressive experience
in project management, research, as well as providing technical and
operational support and assistance to developing country
* Experience working in developing country contexts on health
* Experience working with USAID-funded programs is required.
Experience with other donor-funded programs/initiatives (e.g. World
Bank, DFAT, DFID, Gates Foundation) will be an asset.
Knowledge and Skills:
* Well rounded technical and operational knowledge of health
finance and economics research, program implementation and analysis
-- potential areas of focus include: include strategic planning and
budgeting; the financial aspects of integrating services; resource
mobilization; universal health care; performance-based financing;
costing, cost-effectiveness and willingness to pay analysis; and
governance, management and leadership.
* Excellent writing and presentation skills.
* Ability to build successful relationships with donors, partners,
and stakeholders in the global health systems community.
* Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
* Excellent skills in oral and written communications. Demonstrated
skills at writing clearly and succinctly.
* Ability to produce thorough, high quality work within tight
* Flexibility and ability to handle multiple tasks and work
collaboratively within a matrix-oriented environment.
* Fluency in English is required. Additional French language
proficiency is preferred.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or
any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is
Keywords: RTI International, Durham , Health Systems Strengthening Specialist, Healthcare , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!