Nursing Care Assistant I - Duke Regional Hospital - Gen Med Dialysis - PRN
Company: Duke Health
Posted on: November 18, 2023
Duke Regional Hospital offers the personal touch and hometown
feel of a community hospital while serving as an essential arm of
the internationally recognized Duke University Health System. Duke
Regional has served Durham, Orange, Person, Granville, and Alamance
counties for more than 45 years. To be successful at caring for our
community and have a strong reputation among patients who seek our
care, we have 3,500 team members who work together to provide
exceptional, compassionate, and equitable healthcare 24/7. We are a
place of learning and acceptance for team members just starting
their careers, as well as an institution of family culture and
professional development for employees who have served for decades
in our hospital units. Duke Regional has 388 inpatient beds and
offers a comprehensive range of medical, surgical, and diagnostic
services, including orthopedics, weight-loss surgery, women's
services, and heart and vascular services. We also offer care at
our Duke Rehabilitation Institute, Davis Ambulatory Surgical
Center, Duke Ambulatory Surgery Center Arrington, Health Services
Center, and Duke Behavioral Health Center North Durham. In fiscal
year 2021, Duke Regional Hospital admitted 16,422 patients,
performed 18,152 surgeries, and welcomed 2,673 babies into the
world. U.S. News & World Report ranked Duke Regional Hospital as in
North Carolina and in the Raleigh-Durham area for 2021-22. The
Human Rights Campaign consistently names us a Healthcare Equality
Leader, and we are a Joint Commission-accredited and
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year
as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of
Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for
being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance (based on eligibility) Nursing Care
Assistant I - Duke Regional Hospital - General Medicine Dialysis -
Schedule: 7am - 7pm x 1 shift per week
Duke University Health System- Duke Regional Hospital seeks to hire
a Nursing care Assistant who will embrace our mission of Advancing
The Medicine/Dialysis Unit 5-1 at Duke Regional Hospital is
comprised of a 36-beds. We are a very welcoming unit that strives
at providing excellent patient care and customer service. We also
believe in recognizing our staff for their dedication to nurse
excellence. Our Team serves an extensive diverse patient population
with illnesses and treatments which can include: Renal
insufficiency, CHF, COPD, Peritoneal Dialysis, Sepsis, Pneumonia,
insulin drips, heparin drips plus many more! Some exciting
highlights about our unit are: Expansion of skill set and
competencies to grow within your practice, flexible
shifts-including week end option, Clinical Career advancement, New
Grad Residency Program-helps support entry level of nurses, Higher
Education Tuition Reimbursement, Hospital and Unit based
committees. Come join our dynamic team at Duke Regional
Perform a variety of nonprofessional nursing duties in the direct
care of patients under the direct supervision of an RN/LPN.
- Prepare patients, equipment and supplies for specific
procedures and provide manual assistance as required.
- Obtain and record patient data for medical records noting and
informing RN/LPN of information collected.
- Administer treatment and personal care procedures to patients
including, but not limited to, feeding, bathing, shaving, changing
clothing, cleaning and trimming fingernails, bed-making, assisting
with ambulation, enemas, skin care, and bowel and bladder
elimination; provide such additional care as required to meet the
personal needs and comfort of assigned patients.
- Participate in teaching activities by reinforcing teaching
instructed by RN and/or physician as needed.
- Assist physician and nurses with physical examinations by
helping position patients, changing non-sterile dressing, and
- Take and record vital signs, record I&O, apply ice bags,
administer douches and enemas. Note and report any changes in a
patient's condition. Turn and position patients, set up and feed
patients as necessary, provide patients with fresh drinking
- Perform finger sticks for blood glucose testing, with
- Assist with admission, discharge, and transportation of
patients. Follow standard precautions and use personal protective
equipment as required.
- Collect, deliver, and conduct routine tests on patient
specimens. Clean assigned area: stock and replenish supplies and
equipment as required.
- Participate in own professional development by maintaining
required skills validation and attending educational offerings.
Support the development of other staff and formal learners.
- May also perform sterile dressing change for wounds over 48
hours old, IV fluid assistance activities, oral/nasogastric
feeding, and urinary catheterization/irrigation.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described
herein. Required Qualifications at this Level
- Completion of a Level I - Nurse Aide education program approved
by the North Carolina Board of Nursing or successful completion of
the NC - approved Nurse Aide I competency test.
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Experience
- N/A Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
- Currently listed as a Nursing Assistant I (NAI) with the
Division of Facility Services with no substantiated findings of
abuse, fraud, neglect or misappropriation of property.
- BCLS certification must be maintained/completed by the end of
new hire orientation, which typically takes place during the first
week of employment. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of sterile techniques and special procedures
that are applicable to work performed.
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in
administering routine and special treatments to patients.
- Working knowledge of sanitation, personal hygiene and basic
health and safety precautions applicable to work in a hospital
- Working knowledge of the organization and physical layout of
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Heavy lifting and the ability to transport stretcher and
wheelchair patients to various hospital locations may be
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written
- Ability to document and communicate pertinent information using
computer and/or paper documentation tools.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with patients and hospital staff.
- Working knowledge of principles and practices of providing non-
professional bedside patient care. Distinguishing Characteristics
of this Level
- N/A Job Title: NURSING CARE ASSISTANT I
Job Code: 4105
Job Level: B2
Revised Date: 01/30/2023
Supervisory Responsibility: No
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an
individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression,
gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration,
innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success
depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best
when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and
experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential
that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the
contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices
are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to
uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions Certain jobs at Duke University
and Duke University Health System may include essential job
functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities.
Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable
accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Keywords: Duke Health, Durham , Nursing Care Assistant I - Duke Regional Hospital - Gen Med Dialysis - PRN, Healthcare , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!