LPN - Med/Surg - General Medicine Stepdown
Company: Duke Health
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Duke University Hospital Duke University Hospital is
consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is
known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking
research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient
beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic
facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major
surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery
center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with
nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional
radiology area. For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked
Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties:
cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear,
nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology
& neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung
surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first
in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area. In addition
to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically
dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary
care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and
outpatient surgery centers. Duke Nursing Highlights: -
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year
as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of
Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for
being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance (based on eligibility) -Licensed
Practical Nurse -- Duke University Hospital - General Medicine
Stepdown Unit (8 East) - Night Shift -Duke University Health System
seeks to hire a Licensed Practical Nurse who will embrace our
mission of -Advancing Health Together.The -General Medicine
Stepdown Unit (8 East) -contains a total of 24 inpatient beds. Our
team of nursing staff provides exceptional care to patients with
complex medical conditions. As a -progressive care unit, patients
on 8 East include Covid/Respiratory with continuous Bipap and
Optiflow, Trauma, Transplant, Neuro, Cardiac, OB, and Oncology. We
partner with our GIP Hospice Team to focus on end-of-life with
complex nursing needs. In addition, a portion of our beds are
devoted to patients with increased critical care needs beyond the
normal step-down level with IV titratable medications
(vasopressors) and arterial line monitoring. We will also have
virtual nursing to take care of admission and discharge for our
patients. - -Department Highlights:
- 3 DAISY Awards - for providing extraordinary compassionate care
to their patients and families every day!
- Strengths in teamwork, multi-disciplinary collaboration, and
professional respect - we offer a dynamic environment for
- Procedures/treatments frequently performed include diabetes
management, pain management, wound care, telemetry, oxygen therapy,
blood product administration, and IV management of fluids and
- Affords the clinical experience to attain strong critical
thinking skills, vast knowledge of disease processes and body
systems, and robust care management skills. -Work Schedule:
3 12-hour shifts, night shift. 36 hours per week.
What you will do:
As a -Licensed Practical Nurse -for Duke University Health System,
you will assume responsibilities for the direct care of assigned
patients under the supervision of a registered nurse or physician
in the patient care area. Licensed Practical Nurses provide nursing
services to patients and families in accordance with the scope of
the LPN as defined by the North Carolina Board of Nursing. -
- Provide and document direct nursing care of assigned patients
under the supervision of a registered nurse or physician. Nursing
care is guided by the physician's orders and the nursing plan of
care. Patient response to care is reported to a registered nurse
for evaluation, intervention, and modification of the plan of care.
Assist other healthcare personnel in the delivery of patient
- Assist physicians and other nursing personnel in the
performance of various diagnostic procedures.
- Evaluate nursing care with emphasis on nursing procedures and
patient responses; assist in the delivery of nursing care and
selection of nursing priorities.
- Assist in the development and implementation of general
policies and procedures to provide for the emotional and physical
comfort and safety of patients; participate in the formulation of
- Participate in maintaining the environment of care including
equipment and other material resources.
- Participate in the identification of clinical or operational
performance improvement opportunities and assist in performance
- Assist with control of material resources and maintenance;
assist in appraisal of effectiveness of material and equipment and
report any equipment malfunctions to charge nurse.
- Participate in in-service education programs and other
conferences within the service.
- Assist in the training of new employees.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described
herein. -What you can expect:
- Knowledge of scope of licensed practical nurse, ability to
delegate to nursing support staff.
- Considerable knowledge of the care and treatment of patients
and special procedures that apply to practical nursing. Able to
independently seek out resources and work collaboratively.
- Able to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors,
healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership, and
- Able to teach patients and families in accordance with the
nursing plan of care.
- Able to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and
prioritize information, treatment, and follow-up.
- Competent in BLS and/or other specialized life support
requirements designated by work area or organization.
- Able to use fine motor skills. Able to record activities,
- Able to use computer and learn new software programs.
- Able to navigate the entity to provide clinical care for
- Able to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Able to remain focused and organized.
- Working knowledge of sterile techniques and special procedures
that are applicable to work performed.
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in
administering routine and special treatments to patients.
- Working knowledge of sanitation, personal hygiene and basic
health and safety precautions applicable to work in a
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety
precautions Ability to understand and follow oral and written
instructions. -What we will provide:
- Paid Training
- Opportunities for a Lifetime. Duke University Health System is
committed to providing robust learning and development from Office
of Continuing Education.
- Clinical Ladder Advancement
- Tuition Assistance
- Performance Increases
- Comprehensive Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Employee
Pension plan and much more. -What you will need:
- Graduation from an accredited Practical Nurse Program.
-Licensure and Certification Required:
- Current registration with North Carolina State Board of Nursing
as License Practical Nurse.
- BLS Certification - Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity
without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender,
gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national
origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
- Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration,
innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success
depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best
when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and
experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential
that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the
contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices
are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to
uphold these values. - Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain
jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may
include essentialjob functions that require specific physical
and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for
requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each
hiring department. -
Keywords: Duke Health, Durham , LPN - Med/Surg - General Medicine Stepdown, Healthcare , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!