MEDICAL LAB SCIENTIST, ADVANCED (Days Includes Sat/Sun, Flexible on exact day)
Company: Duke Health
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Schedule- work day shift that encompasses Sat/Sunday, flexible
on exact days.Either 5- 8 hr shifts or 4- 10 hr -shifts. Start time
8:00am. Training will take place M-F day shift. -General
Perform a variety of routine and complex technical tasks in the
performance of laboratory tests to obtain data for use in the
diagnosis and treatment of disease. Job duties are dependent on the
laboratory and may be composed of a combination of the following
duties and responsibilities related to the specialization. Tasks
are performed according to written procedures and policies with
careful monitoring of quality control and quality assurance
practices. -Job Duties -
- Perform a variety of tests in clinical laboratories using
standard techniques and equipment; perform related duties in the
laboratory to include specimen handling, using manual and automatic
equipment to test specimens, and perform and report analytical
- Operate manual or computerized instrumentation. Calibrate and
maintain instrumentation according to standard operating
- Process patient samples for testing using appropriate
identification techniques and written procedures to ensure quality
material for testing.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of assay problems as directed by
senior staff. Communicate problems/issues to appropriate
- Maintain inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Participate in the development of new medical laboratory tests
- Participate in the preparation for lab inspections. Review lab
inspection documents and procedures to maintain knowledge. Bring
any non-compliance issues to the attention of upper level
- Perform proficiency testing as directed to maintain compliance
with regulatory agencies.
- Document quality control and quality assurance results. Notify
upper level personnel of instrument malfunctions or unusual or
unexpected data or results.
- Review written procedures and policies for accuracy and submit
changes to manager or designee.
- Understand, comply, and perform with all necessary safety
procedures. Maintain compliance with safety training. Report all
safety incidents within 24 hours.
- Attend all laboratory meetings, safety and compliance training
- Comply with competency testing procedures for the laboratory
- Train new staff. Serve as a resource person/role model, as per
guidelines determined by laboratory management. Comply with
laboratory training programs.
- Provide technical guidance and instruction to students,
interns, residents, staff and other employees.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described
- Use behaviors that support achievement of balanced scorecard
targets and support DUHS values.
- Consistently cooperate and communicate effectively with
co-workers to ensure effective workflow. - -Minimum Qualifications
-EducationBachelors of Science/Bachelor of Arts in Chemical,
Physical, Biological or Clinical Laboratory Science; or Medical
Technology. Generalist certification required for General labs.
Generalist/Specialty certification required for specialty labs.
-ExperienceTwo years' experience as a certified MLS. -Degrees,
Licensures, CertificationsGeneralist/Specialty Certification by a
nationally recognized board/agency (required). Certification will
vary depending on laboratory. Advanced degree (MS or higher)
accepted in lieu of certification. - - - Duke is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment
opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color,
disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic
information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, or veteran status. - Duke aspires to create a
community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and
belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of
ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our
perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve
this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community
feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals
are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our
community have a responsibility to uphold these values. - Essential
Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke
University Health System may include essentialjob functions that
require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional
information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation
will be provided by each hiring department. -
Keywords: Duke Health, Durham , MEDICAL LAB SCIENTIST, ADVANCED (Days Includes Sat/Sun, Flexible on exact day), Healthcare , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!