Nursing Care Assistant I - Duke University Hospital 8 East Adult General Medicine SD (Nights)
Company: Duke Health
Location: Haw River
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Duke University Hospital Duke University Hospital is
consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is
known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking
research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient
beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic
facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major
surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery
center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with
nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional
radiology area. For , U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke
University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer,
cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose &
throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology &
neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung
surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first
in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area. In addition
to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically
dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary
care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and
outpatient surgery centers. Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year
as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of
Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for
being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance! Nursing Care Assistant (Night Shift) -
Duke University Hospital - General Medicine Stepdown Unit (8
Duke University Health System seeks to hire a Registered Nurse who
will embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together. (8 East)
contains a total of 24 inpatient beds. Our team of nursing staff
provides exceptional care to patients with complex medical
conditions. As a progressive care unit, patients on 8 East include
Covid/Respiratory with continuous Bipap and Optiflow, Trauma,
Transplant, Neuro, Cardiac, OB and Oncology. We partner with our
GIP Hospice Team to focus on end of life with complex nursing
needs. In addition, a portion of our beds are devoted to patients
with increased critical care needs beyond the normal stepdown level
with IV titratable medications (vasopressors) and arterial line
monitoring. Department Highlights:
- Fantastic opportunity to be a part of a new unit at Duke
University Hospital with multiple learning opportunities and growth
within the unit.
- Affords the clinical experience to attain strong critical
thinking skills, vast knowledge of disease processes and body
systems, and robust care management skills.
- We are a diverse, highly functioning team that collaborates
with all members of the healthcare team to provide exceptional and
compassionate patient care. We put the patient at the center of
everything we do. Work Schedule: 3 - 12 hour shifts. 7p-7a. 36
hours per week. Responsibilities:The Nursing Care Assistant I
performs a variety of non-professional nursing duties under the
direct supervision of an RN/LPN to support patient care. What you
- Prepare patients, equipment and supplies for specific
procedures and provide manual assistance as required.
- Obtain and record patient data for medical records noting and
informing RN/LPN of information collected.
- Administer treatment and personal care procedures to patients
including, but not limited to, feeding, bathing, shaving, changing
clothing, cleaning and trimming fingernails, bed-making, assisting
with ambulation, enemas, skin care, and bowel and bladder
elimination; provide such additional care as required to meet the
personal needs and comfort of assigned patients.
- Participate in teaching activities by reinforcing teaching
instructed by RN and/or physician as needed.
- Assist physician and nurses with physical examinations by
helping position patients, changing non-sterile dressing and
- Take and record vital signs, record I&O, apply ice bags,
administer douches and enemas.
- Note and report any changes in patient's condition.
- Turn and position patients, set up and feed patients as
necessary, provide patients with fresh drinking water.
- Perform finger sticks for blood glucose testing, with
- Assist with admission, discharge, and transportation of
- Follow standard precautions and use personal protective
equipment as required.
- Collect, deliver and conduct routine tests on patient
- Clean assigned area; stock and replenish supplies and equipment
- Participate in own professional development by maintaining
required skills validation and attending educational
- Support the development of other staff and formal
- Perform sterile dressing change for wounds over 48 hours old,
IV fluid assistance activities, oral/nasogastric feeding and
urinary catherizations/irrigation. What we will provide:
- Paid Training
- Opportunities for a Lifetime. Duke University Health System is
committed to providing robust learning and development from the
Office of Continuing Education
- Tuition Assistance
- Comprehensive Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Employee
Pension plan and much more. What you will need:
- Current Nurse Aide I Registry listing with the N.C. Department
of Health and Human Services Division of Health Service
- High School Diploma or higher. Duke is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment
opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color,
disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic
information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community
built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our
collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an
exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives,
backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange,
it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and
welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected,
and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a
responsibility to uphold these values. Essential Physical Job
Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University
Health System may include essentialjob functions that require
specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information
and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be
provided by each hiring department.
Keywords: Duke Health, Durham , Nursing Care Assistant I - Duke University Hospital 8 East Adult General Medicine SD (Nights), Healthcare , Haw River, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!