Nursing Care Assistant I (Day Shift) - Duke University Hospital - Medical ICU
Company: Duke Health
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Duke University Hospital Duke University Hospital is
consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is
known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking
research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient
beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic
facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major
surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery
center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with
nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional
radiology area. For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked
Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties:
cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear,
nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology
& neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung
surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first
in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area. In addition
to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically
dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary
care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and
outpatient surgery centers. Duke Nursing Highlights: -
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year
as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of
Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for
being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance! -Nursing Care Assistant I or II -- Duke
University Hospital - Medical ICU -(Day Shift) -Duke University
Health System- -Duke University Hospital -seeks to hire Nursing
Assistants who will embrace our mission of -Advancing Health
-Work Hours & Shifts:
- 3 - 12 hour shifts. 7a-7:30p. 36 hours per week. -Job
Summary:Perform a variety of nonprofessional nursing duties in the
direct care of patients under the direct supervision of an RN/LPN.
Prepare patients, equipment and supplies for specific procedures
and provide manual assistance as required. Obtain and record
patient data for medical records noting and informing RN/LPN of
information collected. Administer treatment and personal care
procedures to patients including, but not limited to:
- Feeding, bathing, shaving, changing clothing, cleaning and
trimming fingernails, bed-making, assisting with ambulation,
enemas, skin care, and bowel and bladder elimination.
- Provide such additional care as required to meet the personal
needs and comfort of assigned patients.
- Participate in teaching activities by reinforcing teaching
instructed by RN and/or physician as needed.
- Assist physician and nurses with physical examinations by
helping position patients, changing non-sterile dressing and
- Take and record vital signs, record I&O, apply ice bags,
administer douches and enemas.
- Note and report any changes in patient's condition. Turn and
position patients, set up and feed patients as necessary, provide
patients with fresh drinking water.
- Perform finger sticks for blood glucose testing, with
appropriate training. Assist with admission, discharge, and
transportation of patients.
- Follow standard precautions and use personal protective
equipment as required. Collect, deliver and conduct routine tests
on patient specimens.
- Clean assigned area; stock and replenish supplies and equipment
- Participate in own professional development by maintaining
required skills validation and attending educational offerings.
Support the development of other staff and formal learners.
- May also perform sterile dressing change for wounds over 48
hours old, IV fluid assistance activities, oral/nasogastric feeding
and urinary catherizations/irrigation. Perform other related duties
incidental to work described herein. -Knowledge, Skills, Education,
and Experience Required:
- No previous work experience required. Prior experience
- Completion of a Level I - Nurse Aide education program approved
by the North Carolina Board of Nursing or successful completion of
the NC - approved Nurse Aide I competency test.
- High School diploma or equivalent required. -Licensure,
Certification or Registration Required:
- Currently listed as a Nursing Assistant I (NA I) with the
Division of Facility Services with no substantiated findings of
abuse, fraud, neglect or misappropriation of property.
- BCLS certification must be maintained/completed by the end of
new hire orientation, which typically takes place during the first
week of employment. - Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity
without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender,
gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national
origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
- Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration,
innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success
depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best
when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and
experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential
that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the
contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices
are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to
uphold these values. - Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain
jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may
include essentialjob functions that require specific physical
and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for
requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each
hiring department. -
Keywords: Duke Health, Durham , Nursing Care Assistant I (Day Shift) - Duke University Hospital - Medical ICU, Healthcare , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!