Paramedic I- Code Team - Duke Life Flight
Company: Duke Health
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the
best in the United States and is known around the world for its
outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University
Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic
and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma
center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an
endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine
operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional
radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital
admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in
fiscal year 2017. - U.S News & World Report named Duke University
Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in
2018-19. - Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20
nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and
heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology,
rheumatology, and urology. - In addition to its hospitals, Duke
Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of
outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent
care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery
centers. - Duke Nursing Highlights: -
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet-- -
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year
as North Carolina--------s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of
Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for
being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance! -Paramedic I - Duke University Health
System - Code Team - Duke Life Flight -Duke University Health
System seeks to hire a Paramedic I who will embrace our mission of
Transforming Lives Transforming Care. -The Life Flight Code Team
Paramedic -will perform a variety of activities within their scope
of practice to include the delivery of high quality emergency care
as a rapid response team tending to ill or injured persons of all
ages in designated areas of the DUH campus. This rapid response
utilizes an advanced life support (ALS) care delivery model to
stabilize, resuscitate or administer care needed within the scope
of the ALS Paramedic. -The Paramedic performs a variety of
activities across various practices settings and patient
populations in accordance with the Paramedic scope of practice as
defined by the North Carolina Medical Board and with the approval
of the practice setting Medical Director. -Duties and
Responsibilities:Responsible for providing direct patient care -in
accordance with the Paramedic scope of practice as defined by the
North Carolina Medical Board -under the medical oversight of the
Medical Director of the practice setting where the individual will
- Assists clinical staff in the evaluation, treatment and care of
patients. Obtains pertinent history and performs a physical
examination. Performs technical procedures as delegated.
- Monitors patients and maintains records using patient
monitoring system and electronic health records. Documents
patients' status, delivery of care and evaluation of the patients'
response to care according to specific procedures and established
- Documents and maintains an informative and accurate medical
record to initiate charges for each patient treated.
- Communicates in a professional manner essential information to
all appropriate members of the healthcare team to promote sharing
of information throughout the continuum of care.
- Operates extensive medical and mechanical equipment in the
hospital and transport environment. -Ensures all medical equipment
is functioning; restocks medical supplies as needed.
- Provides and maintains a safe and therapeutic environment for
the patients, visitors, and staff. Properly disposes of and handles
as applicable, sharps, soiled materials, and linens and disinfects
area in accordance with policy and policy as applicable. Properly
uses PPE when in contact with patients, soiled utility, hazardous
materials in accordance with policy.
- Act as preceptor and support the development of other staff and
- Participate in the identification of clinical or operational
performance improvement opportunities and in performance
improvement activities. Supports an environment of evidence-based
practice/research/quality improvement initiatives
- Maintain certifications and clinical skills.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described
herein. - -Required Qualifications:Shift: - -3 - 12 hour rotating
shifts - 7a-7p and 7p-7a with weekends and holidays as needed
-Education:Successful completion of an NCOEMS approved Paramedic
Course or a United States Department of Transportation (USDOT)
centered course or similar approved Paramedic Course.
-Experience:One year experience in relevant clinical areas
required, Paramedic experience preferred. -Degrees, Licensure,
- BLS Required at hiring, ACLS, and PALS are preferred at hiring,
but need to be completed by 6 months of hire.
- Current trauma course preferred: PHTLS, BTLS or ITLS
-Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of and appropriate application Paramedic scope of
- Knowledge of professional theory, practice and procedure
- Ability to assess needs of acute and chronically ill patients
and their families
- Ability to independently seek out resources and work
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
- Ability to communicate clearly with patients, families,
visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership
- Ability to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and
prioritize information, treatment, and follow-up
- Ability to use fine motor skills
- Ability to record activities, document assessments, plan of
care, interventions, evaluation and re-evaluation of patient
- Ability to use computer and learn new software programs
- Able to document and communicate pertinent information using
computer and/or paper documentation tools
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking
- Ability to remain focused and organized
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in
administering routine and special treatments to patients
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety
- Pre-employment Physical Capacity Testing Required
- Must Speak English in good, understandable terms
- Participate in own professional development by maintaining
required competencies, identifying learning needs and seeking
appropriate assistance or educational offerings.
- Critical thinking and ability to concentrate
- Must be able to respond quickly to changes in patient and/or
unit conditions - -Physical Requirements
- Work requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, reaching,
stooping, bending, knelling, crouching/squatting, balancing, and
pulling. Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Must be able to lift and support the weight up to 75 pounds in
handling patients, medical equipment, and supplies.
- Intact sense of sight, hearing, smell, and touch.
- Finger dexterity.
- Bimanual Dexterity: Requiring the use of both hands. - - - Duke
is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to
providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's
age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity,
genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, or veteran status. - Duke aspires to create a
community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and
belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of
ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our
perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve
this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community
feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals
are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our
community have a responsibility to uphold these values. - Essential
Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke
University Health System may include essentialjob functions that
require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional
information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation
will be provided by each hiring department. -
Keywords: Duke Health, Durham , Paramedic I- Code Team - Duke Life Flight, Healthcare , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!