Director of Operations
Company: Habitat for Humanity of Durham County
Posted on: May 25, 2023
*Job title:* Director of Operations (DO)
*Reports to:* Chief Executive Officer
*Job overview: *In partnership with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Director of Operations (DO) will provide key Support at Habitat for Humanity of Durham (HFHD) to ensure excellent operations in all areas Compliance, Finance, Development and Volunteer Management, Construction and Land Acquisition, Homeowner Services, and Human Resources. The DO will work with all program departments to maximize their effectiveness, providing a key leadership role to enable the organization to serve more families in a timely way. The DO will be a strong manager and creative problem solver who is committed to and enthusiastic about the mission of HFHD.
*Responsibilities & Duties:*
* In collaboration with the CEO, provide support, to the Director of Finance, Director of Development, Director of Construction, Director of Homeowner Services, and Human Resource Manager to carry out initiatives, assignments, and programs under the approved strategic plan and annual budget. As the Director of Operations, assist in the implementation of policies, plans, fiscal, construction, homeowner, and HR matters.
* Provide support to the HFHD financial department, ensuring prudent fiscal management, reporting, and controls. Provide support to HFHD construction department, including the planning, building and completion of all homes, and repairs efforts. Work with the Director of Construction and construction team to deliver quality housing products in a timely manner while maximizing the engagement of volunteers in the construction process.
* Provide support to HFHD homeowner services department, ensuring that all homeowners are selected according to established policies, communicated with effectively throughout the selection and building processes, and educated as needed to be successful in their homes.
* Provide support to HFHD development department to identify and coordinate funding streams for housing product mix within the target neighborhoods; to include Government funding, such as CDBG, HOME and other, homeowner payments, Gift-in-kind opportunities, and sponsorships and grants. Work with the department to create training programs to upgrade skill levels of volunteers and retention strategies that encourage volunteers to return more frequently.
* Provide support to HFHD human resources recruiting, reviews, staff deployment/workload balancing, and career progression.
* Oversee HFHD compliance in the following areas: review company policies, proactively audit processes, practices and documents to identify weaknesses, evaluate business activities (e.g. investments) to assess compliance risk, collaborate with external auditors and HR when needed, set plans to manage a crisis or compliance violation, educate and train employees on regulations and industry practices, address employee concerns or questions on legal compliance, keep abreast of internal standards, key performance indicators, and business goals.
* In collaboration with the CEO, identify and respond to advocacy opportunities to address substandard and affordable housing issues.
* Coordinates and schedules training opportunities for HFHD staff and board in holistic community development.
* Ability to provide strong leadership to staff in all operational departments.
* All other duties to be assigned by the CEO.
* Bachelor's or master's in business administration, Human Services or related area; or Non-Profit Management preferred.
* Five or more years of operational management experience, preferably in the Habitat and/or non-profit sector, including policy development, quality control, and/or affordable housing.
* Strong knowledge of technology with the ability to leverage it to improve operations and communication.
* Process mapping and change management experience highly desired.
* Proven track record in sound operational management, and motivating direction of others.
* Experience in working with neighborhood-based community partnerships.
* Must have commitment to the Habitat mission and uphold its values and ethics.
* Insight and skill to effectively assist in the advancement of a voluntary, non-profit organization within a complex internal and external environment.
* Working knowledge of local community issues and/or asset-based community development.
* General understanding of affordable housing and construction issues.
* Awareness of local/state agency structures for community planning and development.
* Critical thinking and problem-solving ability with accuracy and attention to detail.
* Highly motivated, problem-solver; ability to work independently and well-organized.
* Strong strategic planning skills taking a long view perspective of community development process.
* Strategic vision with ability to manage tactically.
* Ability to develop staff and volunteers through personal example as well as implementation of formal training programs and other processes.
* Excellent communication skills with well-developed interpersonal and writing skills.
* Ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with supervisor, leadership team, and other Habitat staff.
* Ability to work with broad cross-section of people and groups, strong networking ability.
* Proven organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple projects.
* Energetic, collaborative, and flexible style, with a strong service and team-player mentality.
* Ability to work in a cross-functional, fast-paced work environment.
* Interest in and commitment to equity and affordable housing concerns.
* Believes in HFHD's mission and values and considers them as a framework for all professional decisions.
* Ensures adherence to established timelines and always seeking operational improvement.
* Is committed to a positive experience for families who choose to participate in the building process.
* Committed to ongoing professional development for self and for staff.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $75,000.00 - $80,000.00 per year
* 401(k) matching
* Dental insurance
* Employee assistance program
* Flexible spending account
* Health insurance
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Parental leave
* Vision insurance
* 8 hour shift
* Day shift
* Monday to Friday
Covid-19 Vaccination required, hand sanitizer available, masks required when working in homes.
* Are comfortable working Hybrid, local office in Durham, NC?
* Bachelor's (Preferred)
* Operations management: 5 years (Required)
* Nonprofit management: 1 year (Preferred)
* affordable housing: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
*Job title:* Director of Operations (DO)
Keywords: Habitat for Humanity of Durham County, Durham , Director of Operations, Executive , Durham, North Carolina
here to apply!