Assistant Nurse Manager (RN) - Emergency Department - Duke Regional Hospital - Durham, NC
Company: Duke Health
Posted on: August 6, 2022
Duke Regional Hospital Duke Regional Hospital offers the
personal touch and hometown feel of a community hospital while
serving as an essential arm of internationally recognized Duke
University Health System. Duke Regional has served Durham, Orange,
Person, Granville and Alamance counties for more than 45 years. To
be successful at caring for our community and have a strong
reputation among patients who seek our care, we have 3,500 team
members who work together to provide exceptional, compassionate and
equitable healthcare 24/7. We are a place of learning and
acceptance for team members just starting their careers, as well as
an institution of family culture and professional development for
employees who have served for decades in our hospital units.Duke
Regional has 388 inpatient beds and offers a comprehensive range of
medical, surgical and diagnostic services, including orthopedics,
weight-loss surgery, women's services, and heart and vascular
services. We also offer care at our Duke Rehabilitation Institute,
Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center, Duke Ambulatory Surgery Center
Arringdon, Health Services Center, and Duke Behavioral Health
Center North Durham. In fiscal year 2021, Duke Regional Hospital
admitted 16,422 patients, performed 18,152 surgeries and welcomed
2,673 babies into the world. U.S. News & World Report ranked Duke
Regional Hospital as #9 in North Carolina and #4 in the
Raleigh-Durham area for 2021-22. The Human Rights Campaign
consistently names us a Healthcare Equality Leader, and we are a
Joint Commission-accredited and Magnet-designated hospital. Duke
Nursing Highlights: -
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year
as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of
Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for
being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance! -Department Profile:The Emergency
Department at Duke Regional Hospital is a community based hospital
with a total of 79 beds (49 bed medical ED unit serving the adult
population (transfer pediatric once stable) with an additional 12
-bed observation unit and 18 bed behavioral health unit. -Our team
is active in delivering exemplary care for each patient to ensure
an excellent patient experience, every time. - -
Work Hours & Shifts:
- Full-Time - 40 hours per week - -The Assistant Nurse Manager,
RN (ANM) is a role developed to work in coordination with the
nursing leadership in an assigned unit, department or service to
ensure the work is accomplished safely and effectively. The ANM
serves as leadership support for staff, physicians and other
related providers on service- specific clinical issues. The ANM
requires demonstration of leadership, clinical, and interpersonal
skills. The ANM collaborates with the manager on clinical and
non-clinical operations related to the designated service area. The
ANM serves as the leader support for the unit/department/service
when the manager is unavailable. The ANM is responsible for
supervising, directing, coaching and mentoring staff under the
supervision of the nurse manager of operations (NMO).Duties and
ResponsibilitiesDuties and responsibilities include those required
of the clinical nurse, preceptor, and charge nurse role. In
conjunction with nurse manager, the assistant nurse manager will
plan, coordinate clinical requirements for staff and ensure all CBO
and CBE requirements for staff are current.
- Plan and assist with coordination of unit staff schedules and
submit for manager approval.
- Coordinate clinical training requirements with staff regarding
equipment and supplies.
- Consult with preceptors and orientees on a regular basis to
provide support and determine how orientation should proceed on an
- Assist NMO in preparation, oversight, maintenance and
monitoring of budget utilization
- Collaborate with the manager for issue resolutions and projects
to improve work flow processes throughout the department utilizing
a proactive approach.
- Collaborate with different departments (pharmacy, radiology,
lab, registration) to resolve issues and improve work flow
processes throughout the department.
- Participate with the nurse manager in the interview process and
selection of new staff.
- Oversee various personnel actions including, but not limited
to, hiring, performance appraisals, disciplinary actions,
terminations and other related activities.
- Mentor/coach staff to enhance their professional
- Assess the performance of assigned new hires and orientees
including entry level nurses, nursing care assistants and health
unit coordinators; provides ongoing feedback and coaching.
- Understand and communicate potential clinical equipment or
supply issues to appropriate support team members (Materials,
Biomed, Sterile Processing, etc).
- Mentor and monitor the preceptors for all new employees.
- Facilitate provision of clinical/education updates and skill
check-offs to entire staff on a regular basis.
- Provide immediate support or education on policy, procedures,
equipment and supplies as needed.
- Responsible for learning, implementing and teaching new
- Provide clinical consultation and guidance as needed to
facilitate patient care.
- Round on patient and families to validate services are provided
consistently within expected standards; provide service recovery as
- Model and support the value of diversity in the workplace
- Give assistance and/or direction to staff to facilitate quality
- Supervise and coordinate delivery of patient care for assigned
patient care area.
- Provide oversight and support to charge nurse to ensure
staffing needs/assignments are made according to workload, staff
competency and scope of practice. Delegate responsibilities within
the scope of practice and validated competencies in order to meet
the workload demands of the shift.
- Facilitate participation of unit based staff on department and
organization wide councils/committees.
- Facilitate assignments that support learning for the orientee
or nurse learner.
- Promote an atmosphere of open communication that facilitates
staff input into decision-making, resolution of conflict, and
collegiality among all health team members.
- Communicate in an effective, professional manner.
- Support activities needed to ensure adherence to regulatory
standards and compliance with clinical patient care standards and
established policies and procedures.
- Review and provide appropriate follow up/communication on SRSs
related to their team or patients in conjunction with NMO.
- Facilitate and encourage staff participation in departmental
and hospital committee and council meetings.
- Attend departmental and hospital committee meetings as
- Coordinate, facilitate, participate or direct departmental
projects with follow-through and appropriate follow-up.
- Other projects and duties as directed by the department
manager. -Required Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing required.
- Three years of experience in nursing practice -Degrees,
Licensure, and/or Certification
- Must have current or compact RN license in the State of North
Carolina. BCLS certification is required.
- Must obtain a nursing leadership certification within two years
of hire of appointment.
- Leadership experience (preferred)
- ED experience is required - -Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of scope of the registered nurse, licensed practical
nurse and nursing care assistant
- Knowledge of and appropriate application of the nursing
- Knowledge of professional theory, practice and procedure
- Ability to assess nursing needs of acute and chronically ill
patients and their families
- Able to independently seek out resources and work
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
- Able to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors,
healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership and
- Able to teach patients and families in accordance with the
nursing plan of care
- Able to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and
prioritize information, treatment, and follow-up
- Able to use fine motor skills
- Competent in BLS and/or other specialized life support
requirements designated by work area
- Able to record activities, document assessments, plan of care,
interventions, evaluation and re-evaluation of patient status
- Able to use computer and learn new software programs
- Able to navigate the entity to provide clinical care for
- Able to withstand prolonged standing and walking
- Able to remain focused and organized
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in
administering routine and special treatments to patients
- Pre-employment Physical Capacity Testing Required - - Duke is
an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to
providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's
age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity,
genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, or veteran status. - Duke aspires to create a
community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and
belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of
ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our
perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve
this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community
feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals
are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our
community have a responsibility to uphold these values. - Essential
Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke
University Health System may include essentialjob functions that
require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional
information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation
will be provided by each hiring department. -
Keywords: Duke Health, Durham , Assistant Nurse Manager (RN) - Emergency Department - Duke Regional Hospital - Durham, NC, Executive , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!