Director, Platform Hosting Services-Full Time-DHTS-IT-Durham
Company: Duke University Health System
Posted on: August 6, 2022
Duke Health Technology Solutions is a robust, specialized division
of Duke University Health System dedicated to the development and
management of enterprise IT systems.
A 2021 Most Wired health system, Duke is nationally recognized for
IT and information management as the first healthcare system to
achieve the Davies Award - highest honor by the Healthcare
Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) - for inpatient,
ambulatory, and analytics health information technology
Our employees are among the top-skilled IT experts in the Triangle
and partner with leading scholars, clinicians, and researchers
across Duke University and Duke Health to develop innovative
technologies that support our mission of delivering tomorrow's
Director of Platform Hosting Services
The Director of Platform Hosting Services is responsible for
strategic direction and effective operational management of this
area s personnel and other resources, providing leadership and
management to a team responsible for deployment, configuration,
management, operations and restoration of server hosting
infrastructure, database and cloud platform services. This includes
delivering and maintaining operations for all Infrastructure
Hosting services associated with hosting of virtual and physical
servers, including virtualization platforms, storage systems,
database instances, public cloud services, and associated
technologies in support of the mission of Duke Health.
The Platform Hosting Services team will ensure optimum system and
hosting performance, availability, and service delivery for Duke
Health. The ideal candidate will be well versed in compute,
storage, database, cloud and virtualization technologies;
experienced in managing technical team of professionals;
experienced in product ownership and development; and experienced
with managing multi-million dollar service portfolio budgets.
- Develop product strategies in partnership with architecture
team and manage the product life cycle for Platform Hosting
services. Interface with key internal and external stakeholders to
develop and support business cases, budgets, and reports.
- Develop ongoing business relationships with customers in Duke
Health to better understand the business requirements and align
appropriate services to these business requirements.
- Research, recommend, design, and develop strategies for
implementing new technologies for on premise and cloud
environments, in conjunction with architecture team.
- Implement and maintain architecture and security standards for
- Evaluate new technologies and solutions to meet the business
requirements for Duke Health, including business technologies to
support academic, clinical, and research initiatives.
- Demonstrate effective communication strategies to convey
complex ideas to various audiences.
- Lead initiatives and teams to develop more efficient processes
through technologies to reduce, time, cost, manual intervention,
- Provide oversight across Service Owners in the delivery of
projects, change requests, service requests, incident, and problem
resolutions. Establish Delivery Quality Index to ensure deliveries
are in scope, on time and on budget
- Lead efforts to drive efficiency through continuous
- Support standards of cloud adoption for application teams.
- Develop architecture, standards, and design packages for new
products and services in collaboration with architecture team.
- Develop business plans, financial and cost models, ROI, and
presentations for technology and service solutions.
- Oversee IT Service Cost Delivery model for the Platform Hosting
portfolio, make sound financial decisions for purchases, and
demonstrate clear understanding of the Total Cost of Ownership
- Maintain strong relationships with service providers and
vendors to develop next-generation designs and plans. Manage
vendor/supplier engagements and interactions effectively and in the
best interest of DHTS
- Lead with direct managerial responsibilities for team managers
and service owners.
- Manage and recruit a team of high-level technical staff
responsible for developing and delivering products and services.
- Manage on-demand resource needs to meet the business
- Define technical development priorities for talent, identifying
training needs and opportunities.
- Ability to adhere to the highest standards of ethics and
- Participate as needed in on-call/troubleshooting of complex
- Demonstrated experience with VMWare, Nutanix, enterprise
compute platforms, block storage, file storage, object storage,
Windows and Linux operating systems, database (i.e. SQL, Oracle)
and cloud technologies (i.e., Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS)
- Demonstrated experience managing technical teams
- Demonstrated experience in product ownership and
- Experience managing service-based costing for an enterprise
- Demonstrated experience in managing strategic IT vendor
relationships and procurement of Enterprise-level hardware and
- Demonstrated ability to technically review work of subordinates
to assure high quality and efficient operation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage technical projects of varying
scale that require latitude in decision and actions.
- Experience with Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment
and Continuous Monitoring tools.
- Must have the ability to work independently on multiple tasks
and complex projects.
- Ability to interpret customer business and translate to
- Excellent English language skills, both oral and written.
- Health Care, Academic Research experience a plus.
Required Qualifications (Must haves):
- BS/BA degree and 12 - 15 years of prior relevant experience or
Masters with 10 - 13 years of prior relevant experience. Experience
may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- Minimum 10+ years experience in Information Technologies and
emerging new technologies
- 8+ years experience of management/leadership experience in
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed
to providing employment opportunity without regard to an
individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression,
gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration,
innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success
depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best
when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and
experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential
that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the
contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices
are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to
uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University
and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob
functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities.
Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable
accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Keywords: Duke University Health System, Durham , Director, Platform Hosting Services-Full Time-DHTS-IT-Durham, Executive , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!