Core Operations Manager-Full Time-DHTS-Durham
Company: Duke University Health System
Posted on: June 26, 2022
Duke Health Technology Solutions is a robust, specialized division
of Duke University Health System dedicated to the development and
management of enterprise IT systems.
A 2020 'Most Wired' health system, Duke is nationally recognized
for IT and information management as the first healthcare system to
achieve the Davies Award - highest honor by the Healthcare
Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) - for inpatient,
ambulatory, and analytics health information technology
Our employees are among the top-skilled IT experts in the Triangle
and partner with leading scholars, clinicians, and researchers
across Duke University and Duke Health to develop innovative
technologies that support our mission of delivering tomorrow's
The Core Operations Manager position will be the main interface
between the customer and service in the 24x7x365 Production Support
organization. He/she will provide leadership and decision support,
ensuring that all business and technical units work in a
harmonized, coordinated fashion to restore normal IT operation to
our customer. Successful execution of standard, repeatable tasks as
defined by the Service Owners.
Maintenance of the overall health of the Production environment.
Effective recovery from disruptions and response to incidents are
conducted efficiently. Initiate, lead and direct the activation and
life cycle of Technical Bridges in the event of an incident or
major IT issue. The core operational units include Service
Delivery, Monitoring, Job Management, Application Support, Network
Support, Backup & Recovery Operations, and IT Security.
The Duty Manager will direct workflow for engaged teams, assign
tasks where required, monitor incidents for service level
attainment, track incident trends, drive problem management
initiatives and serve as a point of contact for the management of
The Duty Manager is dedicated and motivated to ensure clients are
happy and are kept abreast of all updates and progression. Ensure
satisfaction is of the highest quality and that progress of issues
impacting our customers are resolved quickly and to the clients'
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level:The required shift for
this position is Tuesday - Saturday 6:30AM - 3:30PM.This Position
is required to be on-site on a rotating basis
Establish day to day operational procedures that align to customer
- Track and trend ticket and call performance to ensure
operational targets are being met.
- Execute the day-to-day functions that contribute to the
development of the strategic focus for the department.
- Responsible for managing all personnel actions for staff, which
include hiring, performance management, career development, time
off, work schedules, disciplinary actions, and staff
- Utilize resources to ensure 24X7 operational support is in
place. This includes working with the quality and measurement
Technical Lead to standardize schedules and quality measures.
- Create and support a work environment that promotes and
recognizes the DUHS Values: Caring for Our Patients, Their Loved
Ones, and Each Other through Teamwork, Diversity, Safety,
Integrity, and Excellence.
- Motivate and focus staff on mission, vision, values, and
- Execute internal operating policies, processes, and procedures
consistent with IT best practices and service level agreements to
ensure service availability. Drive and enforce ownership of ticket
management and customer satisfaction.
- Execute standard, repeatable operational work as defined by the
- Identify repeat incidents that should be resolved with Service
Owners through a permanent resolution. Supply feedback to the
Technical Liaisons to ensure data is supplied for through analysis
to identify root cause.
- Work with the Measurement and Reporting Technical Lead to
develop reports that track and analyze trends in Operational
performance against CSFs and KPIs.
- Work with Measurement and Reporting Technical Lead to develop
operational scorecards for performance trending and analysis.
- Foster a customer centric approach to service operations.
- Track and manage operational change requests. Identify
opportunities for standard pre-approved changes, document required
test plans, results, and risk/impact by working with Technical
Liaisons and Change Process Owner.
- Monitor the pulse of critical systems for Duke Health's
information technology environment.
- Execution of emergency procedures for Technical and Business
- Ensure timely and appropriate escalation and notification for
all critical system issues and outages while striving to exceed all
Service Level Agreements.
- Requires frequent interaction with all levels of Duke Health IT
as well as vendors and other teams as needed.
- Strong engagement and involvement with Health System OA's -
will attend multiple meetings during "off incident" periods to stay
in step with their needs.
- Drives problem analysis and incident trending improvement
opportunities. Work with Service Owners and Operational Management
to drive continual improvement initiatives.
- Works with monitoring tools team to ensure monitoring,
thresholds, escalation instructions, job handing instructions and
access to manage alarms is supplied.
- Works with operational teams to ensure business continuity
plans are tested on a regular basis.
- Individual will also work with Service Owners to drive solid
change management classifications and coordination for said
- Managing & Leading high- and low-level support teams.
- Ensuring adherence to strict SLAs, supporting an ITIL framework
covering change, incident, and problem management.
- Manage high severity incidents involving mission critical
applications and crisis incidents involving both customer & senior
- Manage critical situations acting as a liaison for Service
- Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications at this Level:
Education: Bachelor's degree in a related field, or four years of
equivalent technical experience required.
Demonstrated experience managing operational and service desk
- Experience with crisis management and facilitation of major
incident processes and technical bridge facilitation.
- Identify and influence service operational improvement
initiatives and suggestions.
- Must have working experience with providing customer with
day-to-day support by responding to, documenting, tracking,
resolving and managing customer issues, questions and
- Manage and respond to Customer Satisfaction responses and
scores identifying areas of improvement.
- Demonstrated ability for oral and written communication with
- Strong business & communications' acumen.
- Solid knowledge of information technology and business
- Experience in a communications or technology leadership
position leading both business and technology teams through
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills to help facilitate
communication between organizations, vendors, internal departments,
- Duty Manager can work across teams and think
- Experience interacting and influencing senior management, key
service delivery personnel to manage problems to resolution.
- Experience working with communications tools, monitoring
solutions, tool integration and monitoring governance utilizing the
event management process lifecycle.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Solid operational and business acumen.
- Strong knowledge of information technology, business
requirements and ITIL Framework.
- Ability to run a "war room" during cross enterprise IT
- Ability to work across teams and partner with service
- Ability to identify potential service interruptions and
- Ability to facilitate technical bridge lines to ensure cross
technical team collaboration and quick resolution.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and
written with both technical and non-technical staff), including
public presentation skills
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented and team player
- Successful candidates will possess a solid understanding of
- Strong ability to excel in pressure situations and be able to
- ITIL V3 Foundations Certification preferred
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed
to providing employment opportunity without regard to an
individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression,
gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration,
innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success
depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best
when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and
experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential
that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the
contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices
are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to
uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University
and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob
functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities.
Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable
accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Keywords: Duke University Health System, Durham , Core Operations Manager-Full Time-DHTS-Durham, Executive , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!