Company: Durham Academy
Posted on: February 22, 2021
The Finance Director will lead all day-to-day finance operations
of a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation,--including functional
responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, payroll, and
accounts--receivable. The Finance Director will ensure that correct
systems and procedures are in place to--support effective program
implementation and conduct flawless audits. This position will
serve--as the principal liaison to the external auditor. The
Finance Director will work closely with division and department
heads, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting
procedures, but--to explore how the finance function can support
program operations. The Finance Director will advise management
regarding revenue enhancement and cost containment strategies. The
Finance Director will prepare, analyze and interpret periodic
financial reports for management information and control. This
position will also oversee the budget preparation process and
assist with budget--presentations to Board committees and
interested outside parties. This position reports to the Director
of Business Services. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Must be able to help advance the mission and values of Durham
- Lead all day-to-day finance operations with functional
responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts
receivable, and payroll.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers and reporting systems ensuring
compliance with GAAP standards, regulatory requirements and rules
- Monitor internal controls and safeguards for receipt of
revenues, costs, payables, program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Coordinate budgeting, budget management and cost controls.
Recommend benchmarks for measuring the financial and operating
performance of departments.
- Monitor and analyze monthly operating results against budget.
Interpret financial data and recommend changes to improve systems,
financial performance and reporting.
- Present financial information to management and Finance
Committee in a timely manner.
- Generate monthly and year-end financial statements.
- Manage preparation of annual report of actual revenues,
transfers and expenses.
- Prepare financial analysis for projects as needed by
- Coordinate all audit activity. Ensure compliance with local,
state and federal financial reporting requirements.
- Supervise accounting staff and oversee daily operations of
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and
- Work on special projects as needed. Additional duties may be
assigned by the Director of Business Services as needed.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY Manage the overall direction and
coordination of the Business Office Department, including--accounts
payable, accounts receivable and payroll. QUALIFICATIONS To perform
this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each
essential duty--satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or--ability required.
- Significant experience in fund accounting methods.
- Personal qualities of integrity and credibility.
- Must enjoy working with a team.
- Solid experience in the non-profit environment coordinating
audit activities; managing, reporting, forecasting, budget
development and profitability analysis, accounts payable, general
ledger, payroll, restricted/designated funds and accounting for
- Hands-on knowledge of non-profit accounting software systems
and other report generating software.
- Work requires professional written and verbal communication and
- Ability to motivate team to produce quality materials within
tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Ability to participate in and facilitate group meetings.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE A Bachelor Degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a
four-year college or university in Accounting, Finance--or Business
Administration. Five or more years of advanced level experience or
an equivalent--combination of education and experience. CPA, MBA
qualification preferred. PHYSICAL DEMANDS In compliance with the
Americans with Disabilities Act, the following have been identified
as--physical requirements of the job:
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and
ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job,
the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers to
handle, reach or feel and manipulate objects or controls. The
employee is frequently required to sit or stand for long periods of
time and walk distances, as well as stoop, bend, kneel and crouch.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the--essential functions. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Occasional
weekend and/or evening work may be required. Position is available
immediately and open until filled. No phone calls, please. Durham
Academy is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: Durham Academy, Durham , Finance Director, Executive , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!