Controls Engineer I
Company: Corning Inc.
Posted on: April 10, 2021
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials
science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its
unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical
physics to develop products that have created new industries and
transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique
combination of material and process innovation, and close
collaboration with customers to solve tough technology
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of
scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning's Life
Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new
approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress
timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in
the fields of materials science, surface science, optics,
biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions
that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position: In this role, you will complete engineering and
automation projects in a manufacturing environment. Specifies,
procures, and completes projects to automate production processes,
improves machine controls, and install machine data reporting. We
look for you to support automation and controls in a manufacturing
environment. Design new electrical control systems and improves
existing electrical control systems. Manage projects from design to
implementation, including defining project scope, determining
required resources, establishing equipment specifications,
providing system startup services, developing processes, and
executing validation protocols. Ensures compliance/improvement of
quality systems in manufacturing (i.e. ISO, QSR, GMP). Participate
in new product development and process improvement projects as a
core team member or core team leader. Day to Day
- Lead upgrades on existing facilities equipment to improve
process reliability and costs.
- Deliver strong project leadership skills through the project
initiation, planning, implementation, and closeout phases
- Work with representatives from operations,
maintenance/facilities, and engineering to justify, design, develop
and implement improvements to equipment and equipment controls that
support the facility operation and/or management.
- Introduce new sensors and controls and modify PLC programs or
add PLCs to improve the functionality of existing equipment.
- Provide utility specifications for new plant equipment projects
and upgrades to existing equipment.
- Work with outside vendors on improvement projects.
- Supervise the installation, startup, testing, and debug of new
or modified manufacturing equipment and controls.
- Manage capital equipment projects from concept through
implementation ensuring that all performance specifications and
project objectives are met on schedule and on budget.
- Prepare capital appropriations requests including analysis of
existing operations, estimation of project costs, and justification
of proposed actions.
- Develop bid documents for the procurement of industrial control
systems (software and hardware).
- Manage vendors to ensure systems meet specifications.
- Generate and maintain P&IDs for facility
- Collaborate with the Engineering department to maintain
software and revision-controlled files for plant equipment.
- Document and archive all engineering changes such as PLC
programs and electrical schematics.
- Recommend and implement changes to control hardware and
software versions to keep systems current and supportable.
- Perform hands-on troubleshooting and process improvements in
- Use root cause analysis to eliminate process problems.
- Provide technical support and troubleshooting for automated
mechanical systems, electrical controls, and industrial
- Train engineers and technical support personnel as needed on
controls and machine operation. Support operations with control
- Ensure compliance/improvement of quality systems in
manufacturing (i.e. ISO, QSR, GMP).
- Revise all necessary documentation to maintain the quality
- Direct the activities of internal and external resources during
the completion of project work, process troubleshooting, and
machine improvement activities.
- Oversees the work of internal and external technicians to
ensure that their work adheres to company standards, and local,
state, and federal codes.
- Work as a member of the Electrical Support Team that responds
to manufacturing process upsets or plant system downtime events
during off-hours as needed. Travel Requirements:
- Standard business hours; Monday - Friday.
- Will be part of a team that responds to manufacturing process
upsets or plant system downtime events during off-hours as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related
engineering field (automation, controls).
- Strongly prefer prior Intern/Co-op experience. Required Years
and Area of Experience:
- --Minimum of 0-2+ years of experience designing, implementing
and supporting industrial automation/ facilities solutions in a
manufacturing environment. Required Skills:
- Experience with PLC-controlled high-speed automated assembly
- Experience programming PLCs and implementing HMI's.
- Familiar with industrial equipment standards such as NFPA 79,
NFPA 70E, UL508A.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting, electrical equipment, PLC
programs, sensors, valves, motors, and drives.
- Must be proficient with AutoCAD or Solidworks for electrical
design work. Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
- Experience in a GMO regulated industry- Pharmaceutical, Food &
Beverage or Medical Device.
- Experience with PLC manufacturers: Allen Bradley, Siemens
- Proficiency with Microsoft Project desired.
- Experience in Project Management involving automation
equipment, building controls, or facility maintenance.
- Experience with PackML, ISA-88, or other state machine
standards. Soft Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills and can be a
great teammate with strong people skills.
- Able to communicate equally well with different levels of the
organization (engineers, production associates, and managers).
- Able to work in a collaborative environment.
- Able to handle multiple priorities.
- High commitment level.
- Ability to communicate to management. This position does not
support immigration sponsorship. We prohibit discrimination on the
basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or
veteran status or any other legally protected status. We will
ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable
accommodation to participate in the job application or interview
process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other
benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request
Nearest Major Market: Durham
Nearest Secondary Market: Raleigh
Keywords: Corning Inc., Durham , Controls Engineer I, Engineering , Durham, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!